(NAR) VOL. 12 NO. 2 / JANUARY - MARCH 2001
1. Advocate for a total approach for a more humane habitat system giving priority to:3. Initiate close linkage with government agencies for the provision of adequate opportunities for the evacuees
a. Integrating gender-perspective approach with special focus on the needs of women and children
b. Sanitation thru the use of concrete plumbing system using indigenous materials for its walls and roofings. Portable toilets should not be used since some sanitation management are not generally acceptable to rural folks
2. As part of the DSWD's provision of augmentation support of basic services to the LGUs, the following mechanisms will be employed:
a. Undertake basic organization of families for services by administering modified quick response MBN to determine and fast tract priority needs
b. Establishment of a temporary Day Care Center with basic programs of supplemental feeding, day care sessions, child minding, etc.
c. Conduct sessions on Parent Effectiveness and other modular sessions on women and child care development
d. Conduct critical stress debriefing sessions for individuals for them to cope with psycho-social stresses brought about by the disaster
e. Undertake volunteer organization and management for mobilization
f. Ensure established NGO and Welfare Inquiry Desks in the evacuation centers manned by volunteers to assist in managing resources/relief supplies and takes care of information about the evacuees
a. Department of Education, Culture and Sports4. Linkages with NGOs, Business Sectors and Private Groups/Organizations
- Provision of on-site primary and secondary education (mobilizing Parent Teacher Association as a mechanism for integrating PES sessions)
b. Department of Health
- Provision of primary health care services especially to women and children e.g. immunization, food supplements, pre-natal, etc.
c. Technological Skills Development Authority
- Provision of demand/market driven skills training like training of women’s group, out of school youth for entrepreneurship development and management
d. Department of Labor and Employment
- Link family members of working age with possible job placement
e. Department of Trade and Industry
- Mobilize private enterprises for sub-contract job but ensure just share for return of investment through an organized people’s organization among the evacuees.
- Mobilize volunteers from civic organization such as the Rotary, Lions, etc. for possible sub-contract jobs for export or local markets.B. Preparing for Rehabilitation: A MODEL COMMUNITY
- Temporary "Share a Home" linked with religious groups (“Born Again” groups, Catholic associations, etc.)
- A campaign for "give out of your best" for dry goods, clothes, etc.
- Sponsor a child as scholar
- Mobilize groups e.g. Couples for Christ, Apostolic family ministries, etc. to support the conduct of PES
- Where applicable, community-based approaches such as provision for low cost housing in either resettlement or barangay assimilation strategiesINSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENT
- Involvement of the private sector in both idea generation and actual implementation
- Convergence of services among agencies.