S. No. 2199 H. No. 10594 / 97 OG No. 51, 7422 (Dec. 17, 2001) ; Inquirer 9/18/01 ; Star 9/18/01
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled:
SECTION 1. The Apiculture Training and Development Center is hereby abolished. In its stead, the National Apiculture Research, Training and Development Institute, hereinafter referred to as the Institute, based at the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University (DMMMSU) in the Municipality of Bacnotan, Province of La Union, is hereby established.
SEC. 2. All functions, equipment, facilities, supplies, records and personnel of the Apiculture Training and Development Center are hereby transferred to the Institute.
SEC. 3. The Institute shall have the following general power and functions consistent with the research, extension and development programs of the Department of Agriculture, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Trade and Industry, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, National Economic and Development Authority, and the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University:
- educate and train beekeepers and apiculturists;
- conduct researches; and
- extend technologies.
SEC. 4. The Institute shall have the following specific powers and functions:
- establish and develop bee breeding facilities capable of producing good quality queen bees needed in its training, research and extension programs;
- develop, verify and package appropriate apiculture technologies national application;
- establish proper quality control systems for honeybee products and by- products and standards for beekeeping tools and equipment;
- develop, design and fabricate beekeeping tools and equipment using local materials;
- establish wax mills for processing wax foundations sheets out of locally- produced wax from native and exotic honeybee species;
- develop effective, efficient technologies for pollen wax, propolis and royal jelly production;
- establish and develop model beekeeping communities;
- establish and maintain regional satellite centers to serve as extension, research and training arms of the Institute;
- establish appropriate and efficacious pest management programs;
- develop appropriate, and effective beekeeping extension strategies and approaches;
- educate farmers to increase/improve crop yield and quality through bee pollination;
- utilize beekeeping technologies to revolutionize reforestation, agroforestation, forest protection, rehabilitation and beautification programs; and
- establish and define the organizational structure, duties of officials and personnel of the Institute.
SEC. 5. The Institute shall be headed by a Director who shall be responsible for the planning, implementation and supervision of the program and activities of the Institute. He shall be appointed by the Board of Regents of the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University upon recommendation of the University President. All other officers and employees shall be appointed by the Director of the Institute, in accordance with the Civil Service Law.
SEC. 6. The plans and programs of the Institute shall be reviewed and recommended annually by an Advisory Board composed of the following:
- the Secretary of Agriculture as ex officio Chairman;
- the President of the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University, as ex officio Vice Chairman;
- the Secretary of Science and Technology as ex officio Member;
- the Secretary of Trade and Industry, as ex officio Member;
- the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources, as ex officio Member;
- the Director General of the National Economic and Development Authority, as ex officio Member;
- the Executive Director Forestry and Natural (PCARRD), as ex officio Member;
- the Director of the National Apiculture Research, Development Institute, as ex officio Secretary;
- one (1) representative from the local beekeeping/ beefarm industry, as Member; and
- one (1) member from the nongovernment organization concerned with the apiculture industry.
SEC. 7. The presence of five (5) members at the time of the meeting shall constitute a quorum: Provided, however
, That the Chairman or in his absence, the Vice Chairman, shall preside.
SEC. 8. For the purpose of research and development activities of the Institute, researchers and support personnel of other related agencies may be detailed to the Institute upon the request of the Director of the Institute and subject to the approval of the Board of Regents of the University: Provided, however,
That such personnel shall be paid honoraria for their services.
SEC. 9. The Institute is hereby authorized to plan, construct, develop, improve, acquire, or lease buildings, farms, fields and other facilities, to purchase machineries, equipment, materials and supplies locally or abroad as may be necessary to carry out its functions and objectives. Moreover, the Institute shall enjoy exemption from taxes and other duties in the importation of such machineries, equipment, materials and supplies required in its research, development and training programs, subject to the provisions of Section 105 (s) of the Tariff and Customs Code, Section 103 (f) of the National Internal Revenue Code and the provisions on automatic appropriations under the General Appropriations Act.
SEC. 10. The main offices, apiary, bee pasture development, demonstration and experimental areas, and the nursery of the Institute shall be situated at the Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University campus in Bacnotan, La Union. The Institute may hereafter establish similar facilities, or satellite centers, in other service areas in the country in order to promote the development of apiculture in the countryside.
SEC. 11. The amount of Twenty million pesos (P20,000,000.00) shall be appropriated from the Office of the President.
SEC. 12. The Institute may generate other funds from local and foreign sources and may enter into collaborative agreements with other government organizations to supplement its government-allocated funds.
SEC. 13. All expenditures and disbursements of funds made by the Institute in the conduct of its training, research and development activities shall be subject to existing auditing and accounting rules and regulations.
SEC. 14. Any and all savings and income of the Institute shall constitute a revolving fund which shall not be reverted to the General fund and which shall be used by the Institute to further pursue its objectives.
SEC. 15. Repealing Clause.
- All existing laws, rules and regulations or parts thereof inconsistent with the provisions of this Act are hereby repealed, superseded or modified accordingly: Provided, however,
That nothing in this Act shall amend, modify or repeal the provisions of Republic Act No. 7160 otherwise known and cited as the Local Government Code of 1991.
SEC. 16. Effectivity.
- This Act shall take effect after fifteen (15) days of its complete publication in the Official Gazette
or in at least two (2) newspapers of general circulation.
|(Sgd.) AQUILINO Q. PIMENTEL JR. ||(Sgd.) FELICIANO BELMONTE JR.|
| President of the Senate ||Speaker of the House of Representatives|
This Act which is a consolidation of House Bill No. 10594 and Senate Bill No. 2199 was finally passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on June 6, 2001 and June 5, 2001, respectively.
|(Sgd.) LUTGARDO B. BARBO ||(Sgd.) ROBERTO P. NAZARENO|
| Secretary of the Senate|| Secretary of the House of Representatives |
Approved: AUG 10 2001
(Sgd.) GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO
President of the Philippines